Tay Township requires that property owners obtain a fire permit before proceeding with any outdoor fires. Fire permits, good for the calendar year, can be obtained by the property owner at the municipal office or any of the three Township library branches.
What can I burn?
No Yard Waste is allowed to be burned in any area that is located on the Georgian Bay side of Highway 12 Tay Township, the Village of Waverley, Bramhill Park, Candlelight Village and Nielsen Road Subdivision. Yard waste may be burned in rural areas not listed in the previous sentence.
How big can my fire be?
Total size of any fire can be no more than one cubic metre.
Below are some things to remember when burning:
- Fire Permits are free, and everyone planning to have an outdoor fire needs a permit;
- No yard waste burning is allowed in residential zones;
- Permits may be picked up at the Municipal Office during regular business hours or at one of the 3 branches of the Tay Library during their regular hours;
- In order to get a permit you must either be the owner of the property, or have signed permission from the owner;
- Notices of Fire Bans will be posted on the Township website and on the answering machine at the Municipal Office;
- Burning without a Fire Permit will result in a fine along with potential costs associated with putting out the fire;
- Whether recreational or non-recreational burning, the size of a fire cannot be more than one cubic metre;
- Complete open air burning by-law provides additional information.