Interior background

Do I Need a Permit

House Under Construction


Cathy Davis
Administrative Support Person / Receptionist
The Corporation of the Township of Tay
450 Park Street, PO Box 100
Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada
L0K 2A0
Map this Location.
T. 705-534-7248 x220
Toll Free: 1-800-281-8869
F. 705-534-4493

When is a Building Permit required?

  • For any building, including decks over 108 square feet (10 square meters).
  • For any structure attached to a building.
  • For any structural change to a building.
  • For any plumbing piping changes, fixture (sinks, toilets, etc.) location changes or additional fixtures.
  • To replace insulation and vapour barrier (no permit required to add insulation to an existing attic).
  • For any physical change to exits, halls, stairs or increased window openings of a building.
  • For any substantial change or addition to ductwork or ventilation of a building.
  • For a new septic or any change, repair or alteration to an existing septic.
  • For the demolition of a building (except farm buildings).
  • For the change of use of a building, for example a store to a restaurant.
  • For the installation of a wood burning appliance.
  • Raising a house or cottage to provide a crawlspace or full basement.
  • Construction of finished rooms in the basement or attic.
  • Installation of a swimming pool enclosure.

Building Permit Application Forms and Packages

When is a Building Permit NOT required?

  • For a patio less than 23 5/8"(60 cm) in elevation, not attached to a building; and not over 108 square feet (10 square metres) in area.
  • For an accessory building less than 108 square feet (10 square meters) in area that serves a permitted main building.
  • For interior finish, exterior siding / finish and or decorative coverings and cabinetry.
  • Fences (other than swimming pool enclosures) that abide by the Municipal Fence By-law.
  • Minor repairs to Masonry
  • Replacing siding or windows without structural changes
  • To replace shingles/roofing products etc. (repairs to a roof structure DOES need a Permit) 
  • Even if a Building Permit is not required you must comply with the requirements of the Township's Zoning By-law.

When do I need a Municipal Services Permit? 

  • Entrance Permit - required for the installation of a Driveway onto a Township road, or the paving of a driveway.
  • Watering Permits - required for new sod only (not seed) are valid for 7 days from date issue.
  • Fire Permits - required for open air outdoor burning of seasoned wood, valid for one (1) calendar year.
  • Fill Permits - required for any dumping of clean fill on properties within Township.

Permits NOT regulated by the Township of Tay

  • Electrical Permits - Contact the Electrical Safety Authority 1-877-ESA-SAFE.
  • Natural Gas service and piping, contact the T.S.S.A. for permit and regulatory information.
  • Wells drilled or dug, contact Well Records 1-888-396-9355 for permit and regulatory information.
  • Docks, shoreline and in water projects, contact the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (705-746-2196) ; the Ministry of the Natural Resources (705-725-7500) for permit and regulatory information. Note that Dock permits on Township owned water lots are required from the Township (link, P & D has link) 

The advantages of obtaining a building permit:

  • A building permit is a means to regulate development in the Community to meet health, fire, structural, and general safety standards to protect individuals and the Community as a whole.
  • It will improve safety for you, your family, visitors to your home, and future owners of your home.
  • Your home's dollar value can increase and liabilities can be decreased when you show prospective buyers that all required permits and inspections are completed.
  • It is the law! It is illegal to conduct work without a permit. The Ontario Building Code Act mandates that permits be obtained. There are significant penalties for not obtaining permits or for starting construction without permits.
  • It will ensure that construction in your community complies with the zoning by-law, including proper land use, building size and appropriate set-backs from the property lines. Conducting work without a building permit is a contravention of the Municipal By-law and fines will be charged. A building constructed in the wrong location or in a location that is not permitted will have to be moved at the owners' expense.
  • It is the homeowner's responsibility to ensure that a Building Permit is obtained when required. All fines and remedial actions required will be the responsibility of that home owner.
  • By reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:
    • Healthy air quality, appropriate room sizes, safe building structure, safe exits, hallways, railings, accessibility and safe and suitable stairs, adequate fire protection, and energy resource conservation qualities.
    • The local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings placement and height.
    • Other applicable legislation, including Provincial Ministry approvals and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.
  • Making changes in the planning stage will avoid costly corrections after construction.
  • After the permit is issued, inspections will be carried out by certified inspectors during construction, who will provide you with inspection reports and follow up of any outstanding deficiencies.