Mayor and Council>
Tay Township is governed by an elected Council consisting of a Mayor, a Deputy Mayor and five Councillors.
Municipal Council members are elected for a four-year term. All members are elected at large.
Committee of the Whole Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month, commencing at 9:00 a.m. Regular Council meetings are held monthly on the fourth Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
Unless stated otherwise, Council Meetings will be held in-person in the Council Chambers at the Municipal Office located at 540 Park Street, Victoria Harbour and Committee of the Whole meetings will take place virtually. All meetings will be live streamed to the Township's YouTube Channel.
The Municipality's Procedural By-law provides the rules of order and procedures for the Council and Committees of the Township.
The Council Code of Conduct was reviewed and adopted by Council in 2016. The Code of Conduct is administered by the Council-appointed Integrity Commissioner. In addition, Council is governed by the Council-Staff Relations Policy which was adopted in 2018.
To act as Chief Executive Officer of the Municipality and:
- support the purposes of the Municipality;
- encourage public involvement in the Municipality's activities;
- act as the representative of the Municipality both inside and outside the Township and promote the Municipality in this area, the country and the world;
- participate in and foster activities that enhance the well-being of the Municipality and its residents.
- To chair Council meetings so that business can be carried out efficiently and effectively;
- To provide leadership to Council;
- To represent the Municipality at official functions;
- To carry out the duties of the Head of Council under the Municipal Act or any other Act;
- To act as Council's representative when working with other levels of government and business;
- To serve on the Council of the County of Simcoe;
- To serve as an ex officio member of all committees or other body established or appointed by Council (the Mayor may vote and otherwise participate, unless prohibited by law, in the business of the committee or other body on the same basis as any other Committee member).
- To take care of the interests of residents of the Municipality;
- To create and assess policies and programs of the Municipality;
- To decide which services the Municipality provides;
- To make sure that policies and procedures are in place to follow Council's instructions;
- To make sure that all business done by senior staff is done fairly and responsibly;
- To protect the finances of the Municipality; and
- To carry out the duties of Council under the Municipal Act or any other Act.
450 Park Street, PO Box 100
ON L0K 2A0
705-534-7248 ext. 240