Tay Township requires that property owners obtain a fire permit before proceeding with any outdoor fires.
Fire permits, good for the calendar year, can be obtained online, or in person at the municipal office during regular office hours Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
The cost for a fire permit is $20.00 (no tax).
Quick Reference Guide for Open-Air Burning
- Obtain a fire permit.
- Have enough adults available to control the fire.
- Have enough water and equipment to extinguish the fire.
- Ensure that adjacent properties will be protected from products of combustion such as smoke and falling ash caused by your fire.
- Ensure that you fire is at least 20 feet from combustible structures or objects.
- Ensure there is no current fire ban in place.
Fire Ban status is indicated on the tay.burnpermits.com website or on the homepage of our website.
- Only burn dry seasoned firewood.
- No yard waste is allowed to be burned in any area that is on the Georgian Bay side of Highway 12 Tay Township, the Village of Waverley, Bramhall Park, Candlelight Village and Nielsen Road Subdivision. Yard waste may be burned in rural areas not listed previously.
- No fires are permitted between 2:00 am and 8:00 am.
- Fires must be attended, controlled and supervised at all times by a competent adult and then extinguished.
- No fires are permitted when the wind exceeds 20kmph.
- Fires are not permitted when it is raining.
- Only one fire is permitted to be burning at a time.
- Open air burning must be confined either to an open air burning device: Barrel, chiminea etc. or to a fire pit with a burn area no larger than one cubic meter, unless approved by the Chief Fire Official.
- Serious threat or property damage call 9-1-1
- Remember! Only call 9-1-1 if it is an EMERGENCY.
- The Fire Department will be dispatched to respond.
- Review the Rules & Guidelines for Open-Air Burning
- Ensure that a violation is taking place
- Be a good neighbour
- Talking to your neighbour first, if you feel comfortable, about the open-air burning rules and regulations. They may not know they're breaking the rules.
- Call the Non-Emergency Number
- Call 705-534-7248 and press option 3 to connect with a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer.
Fire Ban status visit tay.burnpermits.com
450 Park Street, PO Box 100
ON L0K 2A0
General Manager, Protective and Development Services
Fire Chief/Community Emergency Management Coordinator
705-534-7248 ext. 253
Deputy Fire Chief/Fire Prevention Officer
705-534-7248 ext. 245
Protective and Development Services
705-534-7248 ext. 262